Construction of the Bristol United Baptist Church began in 1897 and was completed in 1898; the church was officially dedicated March 19, 1899. At the time it was valued at $1000 and the church had a membership of 58. Lewis P Fisher of Woodstock NB had a mortgage on the property which he relinquished for the sum of 1 cent cash. The church was one of the first buildings in Bristol to have electricity which was generated by the A.W. Phillips household using a stationary gas engine and a belt driven generator; A.W. Phillips was the original owner of the property at 8 Curtis Road (now Shamrock Suites, previously known as the Marich House).
In the early 2000s, the church congregation decided to sell the church and in September 2005, the Florenceville Baptist Church and the Bristol Baptist church amalgamated to become one church, now the True North Baptist Church on the Burnham Road. There was a brief ownership by a private citizen whose intent was to turn the church into a family dwelling. While in private hands, extensive landscaping was done to the lot and the belfry was removed; no other significant changes were made to the building.
The building was purchased by Peter McLaughlin and Anne Turner in 2014 and repurposed as the present day Second Wind Music Centre. While care was taken to retain its original charm with its stained glass and pressed tin walls and ceilings, extensive renovations were undergone to modernize the facility This includes a full lighting, sound and recording system, a digital projector, soft comfortable seating, accessibility to all levels, additional insulation and a new heating/cooling system.
Currently Second Wind Music Centre offers concerts and music lessons. It is also a rental space for various activities from private gatherings to yoga, pilates, exercise classes, dance, theatre, driver’s education training, etc. See the rental section for more specific info if you wish to use the facility for an event.